Apply For... A Passport

Click here to view full size picture





By appointment only, the Register of Deeds office is accepting passport applications.  Please call 231-256-9682 if you wish to make an appointment.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE:  The only form of payment the Department of State will accept for processing passports is a check.  Please be sure to bring your checkbook with you.  You will need to have one check per application.  Children age 16 and over may submit a parents check with their application.

Passport Applications will be accepted by appointment during the hours of Monday-Friday, 9-4, unless prior arrangements are made in advance.

Remember - applying with your County Register of Deeds ensures the processing fee stays in the County.

The Clerk's Office offers Passport Photo Services onsite - the fee for this service is $10.00 per set.

U.S. citizens residing abroad who need to submit any of the forms listed below should contact the nearest United States embassy or consulate for procedures to be followed when applying overseas, rather than mailing their applications to the addresses listed.

The DS-11, New Passport Application, and DS-82, Renewal application forms have four pages each. Pages 1 and 2 provide information for the applicant and are not for submission; Page 3 requires information to be completed by the applicant, and although Page 4 requires no information from the applicant, it does contain official legal statements and is required as part of the application form.

Please read Pages 1, 2 and 4 prior to completing Page 3. Your application WILL NOT be accepted without both of these pages.


New Passports may be applied for through the Leelanau County Register of Deeds Office. If you wish to apply for a new passport, you may either--

1. Stop by and pick up an application,
2. Call and request an application be mailed or emailed to you so that you can fill it out prior to visiting the Register of Deeds Office, or 
3. Download a blank DS-11 form or tab through an interactive PDF form from the U.S. Department of State's website. Please read the rules carefully as to the quality of the paper/ink of the downloaded form.

You must use Form DS-11 if:

1. You have never had a US passport, or
2. You are under age 16, or
3. Your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago, or
4. Your most recent passport was lost or stolen. (If you are applying because your most recent passport was lost or stolen, you will also need to submit Form DS-64, listed below.)


This form should be used for renewing a previously-issued U.S. passport by mail at anytime OR in person at a Regional Passport Agency if you are traveling internationally, or need your passport for foreign visas, with 14 days.
There are four criteria for using the DS-82 form. Please use the following checklist to see if you are eligible to apply with a DS-82:

1. I can submit my most recent passport AND
2. I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued AND
3. I was issued my most recent passport in the last 15 years AND
4. I used the same name as on my most recent passport or since my passport was issued, I have had my named changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name-change.
If you answered NO to any of the four statements above, You CANNOT use Form DS-82 and must apply on a DS-11.

Please Note: Page 1 of the DS-82 gives phone numbers to call for inquiries. If you have a question about the application process not answered by the state department's website, or want to know the status of a pending application, please call the:  National Passport Information Center, toll-free at 1-877-487-7793(TDD: 1-888-874-7793), or email at Hours are M-F, 8 a.m.-8 p.m., excluding federal holidays. Automated information is available 24/7.

If you have recently applied for a new or renewal passport, Passport Services has a new feature within their website. During heavy volume time periods, such as spring break or holidays, passports can take up to six weeks of processing time, with an additional two weeks needed for mailing. Please allow a minimum of two weeks before checking the status page at


The DS-5504, or Passport Re-application Form, should be used:
1. If your most recent U.S. passport was issued less than one year ago;
2. You can submit your most recent U.S. passport;
3. You have had a change in name or your identifying information was printed incorrectly; or
4. Your most recent U.S. passport was limited in validity for one year or less and/or issued abroad. If you answered no to any of the 4 statements above, you must instead use the DS-11 or DS-82 forms, depending on your circumstances. If you qualify to use the Re-application form, complete it according to the directions listed on Pages 1 and 2 and mail to the address provided.

DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport

The loss of a U.S. Passport is a serious matter. Lost or stolen valid passports should always be reported immediately.

Form DS-64 should be submitted, along with the DS-11 Application for Passport and brought with you when you apply in person for a new passport if your previous passport has been lost or stolen.

DS-3053: Statement of Consent--Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14

This form should be submitted, along with the DS-11 Application for Passport, for minors under age 14 as evidence of parental permission if:

1. You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
2. You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained.

PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Passport Applications for Children Under the Age of 14 REQUIRE BOTH PARENTS' SIGNATURES, as well as PHOTOCOPIES OF BOTH PARENTS' DRIVER'S LICENSES. Parents or the child's legal guardian must:

1. Present evidence of child's citizenship (such as a "sealed" birth certificate), AND
2. Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian, AND
3. Show valid personal identification (i.e., driver's license), AND
4. Sign and take oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent, AND
5. Children Must Be Present during application Process.

If the second parent is NOT available to sign, the appearing parent MUST:
1. Do the above AND
2. Present evidence that he/she has:

  • Sole legal custody of the child, OR
  • Written consent of the other parent for the issuance of the passport, OR
  • A written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained. 


Related Links
This page last updated on 8/7/2023.