Can I... Move into my new home before it is actually finished?

Some people need to move into their homes prior to their building being completed. The Building Safety Department can issue a "Temporary Certificate of Occupancy". This allows legal occupancy of the building without it being totally finished. Certain safety issues must be addressed prior to a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy being issued. Some of these items include heat, running water, a working bathroom, cooking facilities, lights, smoke detectors, handrails and guardrails where required at stairs, decks, landings, etc. All trades require approval for a "Temporary Certificate of Occupancy" to be issued. 

This page last updated on 8/7/2023.