Park Name: Old Settlers' Park
Size: 6.5 acres
Service Area: Entire County
Park and Recreation Area Description:
Old Settlers' Park is located on the southeastern shore of Glen Lake, on South Dunns Farm Road (County Road 675) in Empire Township. Early settlers' established it as a picnic ground in 1892 with access to Glen Lake. The chapel located on the grounds of the park is available for use and is coordinated and maintained by the Glen Lake Woman's Club on a first come, first serve basis.
History: Residents of the logging community of Burdickville held a picnic on August 2, 1893 to honor two elderly pioneers, Kasson Freeman and John Fisher. High attendance at this first picnic inspired the organizers to hold one annually. In 1905, they formed the Old Settlers Picnic Association and began raising funds to purchase a permanent picnic ground. The present Old Settlers Park reflects two purchases. In 1912, with funds from the Association, Leelanau County bought a five-acre parcel adjacent to the Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1896. In 1917, the Association funded the county's purchase of the church, with the Methodists stipulating that the church "shall not be used for dancing." Each August, people came from miles around to attend the Old Settlers Picnic.
The Glen Lake Garden Club has been active in efforts to maintain a wildflower meadow within Old Settlers Park -
Any questions on park usage not already covered within the rules listed below should be directed to: Maintenance Director Jerry Culman II, email@example.com or 231-432-0555.
- Chapel/meeting room
- Fireplaces/Barbecue Stoves (2)
- Gazebo with seating
- Boat Launch (Non-motorized)
- Picnic Areas with Tables
Sample activities include:
- July 4th Flag Raising
- Old Settlers Annual Picnic
For information only regarding Chapel reservations, please contact Marcia Rose at 231-334-4053, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.